Hampta Pass is a stunning trek in the Pir Panjal range of the Himalayas, with ever changing landscapes. On one side is the lush green valley of Kullu — with forests, grasslands and flowers blooming and on the other is the almost arid, stark landscape of Lahaul (Spiti), with barren mountains and almost no vegetation. This pass is frequently used by the shepherds of the lower Himalayan region, seeking high altitude grasslands in the Summer.
The trek takes climbers over glaciers, fast flowing rivers and challenging terrains. Beyond the pass trekkers can choose to extend their trek towards the beautiful Chandratal lake which is in Spiti.
The Hampta pass trek is approximately 24 km trek, hiked over a period of 6 days in Himachal Pradesh and is accessed from Manali. It is an ideal trek for beginners.
- Total Distance of the trek: 24kms (Approximately)
- Best Season to Trek: Mid June to September
- Maximum Altitude: 14,060 Ft
- Nearest Railway Station: Jogindernagar
- Nearest Airport: Bhuntar Airport
- Last ATM before the trek: Manali
- We do not provide trekking gears on rent. It is advisable to rent gears from Manali.
Day 1: Drive from Manali to Hampta Dam and hike to Chikka. (3kms hike – 3-4hrs; 9,500ft):
Start the drive post breakfast from Manali, drive forvabout 2hours and start the hike to Chikka. Today’s hike is easy as you walk in the valley, pass through a river bed. After this point there is a slight ascend before reaching the Chikka campsite.
Over night stay in tents.
Day 2: Chikka to Balu – ka – Ghera. (7kms – 4 – 5 hrs; 12,000ft):
Initial part of the trek goes through the bank of the river crossing a few boulders followed by a river crossing. This campsite is a large plain on the bank of the river.
Overnight stay in tents.
Day 3: Balu – ka – Ghera to Shea Ghoru (12,800ft) via Hampta Pass (14,200ft). (6-7kms, 8-9hrs):
Start early today as it is the pass crossing day. Initially it’s an hour of gradual ascent after which the trail becomes steep uphill till the pass. One gets a view of two valleys, the Kullu valley from where you started the trek and the Spiti valley where your trek ends.
From the pass the trail is a steep descent followed by a flat terrain till you reach the campsite.
Day 4: Shea Ghoru to Chatru (10,900ft; 6kms – 4 – 5 hrs) and drive to Chandrataal lake (14,100ft – 6hrs drive) and camp at Chatru:
Today we end hiking as we head towards Spiti valley. The trail is easy, though one needs to be careful as it’s descend throughout. One can see the Chandra river at Chatru. On reaching camp get some rest before heading for Chandrataal lake.
It is a 3 hr drive from Chatru to the lake. Spend some time at the lake and head back to Chatru.
Day 5: Drive from Chatru to Manali:
Post an early morning breakfast bid the Spiti valley goodbye and head back to Manali. The journey from Chhatru to Manali passes through Rohtang Pass and can take up to 6-7hrs hours.
Trek fee: ₹9500 (with transport)
1. Transportation from Chatru to Chandratal lake and back to Manali
2. All meals starting from breakfast on Day 1 till breakfast on Day 5
4. Experienced team of mountain staff (Guide, cook, helpers, mule men)
5. A certified mountaineer and a wilderness first responder as trip leader
6. Tent accommodation on twin/triple sharing basis
7. Pickup from Prini/Manali to the Hampta dam on day 1
8. Comfortable sleeping arrangements
9. Nutritious, simple yet tasty vegetarian food
10. Round the clock medical attention
1. Evacuation charges due to any medical emergencies or any other reasons
2. Offloading of bags on mules/porters during the trek (Offloading charge is ₹300/day)
3. Trekking gears like trek poles, shoes, jackets, shoes etc.
4. The hotel expense has to be borne by the trekker if she/he discontinues the trek
5. Meals during the journey
6. Personal expenses of any kind
7. No refund will be given if you decide to cut short or cancel the trek
8. Meals during the stay in Manali
Required Trekking Gear:
1. Personal Medicines / Basic medical kit
2. Woolen Cap / headband
3. Sun hat / cap
4. Sun glasses
5. Face Mask / Buff
6. Neck warmer / Muffler
7. Fleece or Woolen gloves – 1 pair
8. Waterproof gloves – 1 pair
9. Woolen Socks – 1 pair
10. Ankle length Socks – 3 pair
11. Above ankle length socks – 2 pair
12. Ankle length trekking shoes (preferably water proof)
13. Thermal Wear (Top & Bottom – 1 pair)
14. Quick dry half / full sleeves t-shirts – 4 nos
15. Poncho / Rain Jacket + Pant – 1 no
16. Down or Padded Jacket – 1 no
17. Fleece or windproof Jacket / Sweater – 1 no
18. Trek Pants (preferably water proof) – 2 nos
19. Head lamp / torch with extra batteries
20. Tiffin box
21. Water bottle 1 liter each – 2 nos / Thermos (optional)
22. Coffee Steel Mug + Spoon (1 each)
23. Trek Pole
24. Toilet Paper
We do not provide trekking gears on rent.
Please note: We can help you buy Trek insurance
Please note: The vehicle charge from Chatru to Chandratal lake and back to Manali will be Rs. 11,000/-
Vehicle will be Tata Sumo, as this type of vehicle can easily handle the road conditions of Spiti valley. The vehicle can fit 6-7 people.
Some useful information:
Total Distance of the trek: 25kms (Approx.)
Maximum Altitude: 14,000 Ft
Nearest Railway Station: Chandigarh
Nearest Airport: Chandigarh
For the cancellation of a trek due to any unavoidable situation has to be notified in writing.
- Cancellation 30 days before the start of the trek – refund of the trek fees with 10% cancellation charges.
- Cancellation between 30 to 20 days before the start of the trek – refund of the trek fees with 20% cancellation charges.
- Cancellation between 20 to 10 days before the trek – refund of the trek fees with 30% cancellation charges.
- Cancellation less than 10 days before the trek – refund of the trek fees with 50% cancellation charges.