From 22nd AUGUST 2022!
Hampta Pass is a stunning trek, with ever changing landscapes. On one side is the lush green valley of Kullu — with forests, grasslands and flowers blooming on the side of your trail. On the other is the almost arid, stark landscape of Lahaul (Spiti), with barren mountains and almost no vegetation.
The Hampta pass trek is approx 24 km trek hiked over a period of 6 days in the Himalayas. It is an ideal trek for beginners.
The trek is in the state of Himachal Pradesh and is accessible from Manali.
Day 1: Drive from Manali to Jobri (2 hrs) and hike to the campsite (30mns; 9,350ft):
The first campsite of the Hampta Pass trek is Jobri. The picturesque drive from Manali, along with 42 hairpin bends, has panoramic views of Kullu valley. From the road head at Jobri, the campsite is a 30-minute hike through a mixed forest of pine, bright green maple trees and silver birch. The campsite looks like the set from the popular Hollywood movie – Avtar.
Day 2: Hike from Jobri to Jwara (4-5hrs hike; 11,200 ft):
Initial hike is on a meadow till you reach the Chikka (another camping ground), followed by a stream crossing. From here the it is gradual ascent till we reach the famous Jwara Nalah. The campsite of Jwara is just about 10 minutes hike from the Nalah. The view on this trail is absolutely gorgeous. Variety of colourful wildflowers can be spotted. Post lunch hike up to a small waterfall to acclimatize well.
Day 3: Hike from Jwara to Balu ka Ghera (4- 5 hrs hike: 12,410 ft):
The initial hike is on a meadow followed by a boulder section for a couple of hours, leading to a trail on loose rocks all the way. Very gradual incline through the day. The lower Baku ka Ghera is enroute the Upper Balu ka Ghera and offers you a very pleasant view of the river bed.
Day 4: Hike from Balu ka Ghera to Shea Ghoru (12,800ft; 8-9hrs) via Hampta Pass (14,000ft):
Start early in the morning post breakfast to cross the pass. Initially it’s an hour’s gradual ascent after which the trail becomes steep uphill till the pass. One gets a view of two valleys, the Kullu valley from where you started the trek and the Spiti valley on the other side.
From the pass it’s about 3 hours steep descent, easing off into a flat walk till you reach the campsite.
Day 5: Hike from Shea Ghoru to Chatru (10,900 ft; 3-4hrs) and an excursion to Chandrataal lake (14,100 ft; 6hrs drive):
Today is the last day of the trek as we head towards Chatru, the last campsite of the trek. The trail is easy though one needs to be careful as it descends throughout. One can see the Chandra river at Chatru. On reaching the campsite get some rest before heading to Chandratal lake.
The Chandratal lake is about 70kms from Chatru and it takes 3 hours to reach. Spend some time at thelake and head back to Chatru.
Day 6: Drive from Chatru to Manali (4-5hrs):
After an early breakfast, bid the Spiti valley goodbye and head back to Manali. The journey from Chhatru to Manali passes through Rohtang Pass and can take up to 4 hours.
Trek fee: ₹10,050
1. Meals from dinner on day 1 till breakfast on day 6
2. Transportation from Manali to Jobra
3. Forest permits & entry fees
4. Experienced & Certified Trip leader equipped with a Medical Kit
5. A team of Local Mountain Staff (Guide, Cook, Helpers, Mulemen/Porters)
6. Micro – Spike & Gaiters (If need be)
7. Dry toilets
8. Round the clock medical attention
9. Nutritious, simple yet tasty vegetarian food
10. Comfortable sleeping arrangements
1. Accommodation at the basecamp other than the above mentioned days
2. Meals during the journey
3. Offloading of bags on mules/porters during the trek (Rs. 300/- per bag per day)
4. Trekking gears like trek poles, shoes, jackets, caps etc
6. Accommodation if you discontinue the trek
7. No refund will be given if you decide to cut short or cancel the trek
8. Any kind of emergency evacuation charges
Required Trekking Gear:
1. Personal Medicines
2. Woolen Cap /headband
3. Sun hat/cap
4. Sun glasses
5. Thermal Wear (Top & Bottom – 1 pair)
6. Quick dry half or full sleeves t-shirts – 4 nos
7. Fleece Jacket or Sweater – 1 no
8. Down or Padded Jacket – 1 no
9. Trek Pants (preferably water proof) – 2 nos
10. Poncho or Rain Jacket+ Pant – 1 no
11. Woolen Socks – 1 pair
12. Cotton Socks – 5 pairs
13. Fleece or Woolen gloves
14. Ankle length trekking shoes (preferably water proof)
15. Head lamp or torch with extra batteries
16. Water bottle 1 liter each – 2 nos / Thermos (optional)
17. Toilet Paper
18. Trek Pole
19. Tiffin box
We do not provide trekking gears on rent.
Please note: We can help you buy Trek insurance
Please note: The vehicle charge from Chatru to Chandratal lake and back to Manali will be Rs. 11,000/-
Vehicle will be Tata Sumo, as this type of vehicle can easily handle the road conditions of Spiti valley. The vehicle can fit 6-7 people.
Some useful information:
Total Distance of the trek: 25kms (Approx.)
Maximum Altitude: 14,000 Ft
Nearest Railway Station: Chandigarh
Nearest Airport: Chandigarh
For the cancellation of a trek due to any unavoidable situation has to be notified in writing.
- Cancellation 30 days before the start of the trek – refund of the trek fees with 10% cancellation charges.
- Cancellation between 30 to 20 days before the start of the trek – refund of the trek fees with 20% cancellation charges.
- Cancellation between 20 to 10 days before the trek – refund of the trek fees with 30% cancellation charges.
- Cancellation less than 10 days before the trek – refund of the trek fees with 50% cancellation charges.