Kedarkantha is a 6-day trek in Govind Pashu Vihar National Park in Uttarakhand. Kedarkantha is one of the most popular winter treks in India. This trek can be accessed by three different routes – from Sankri, Kotgaon and Gaichwan Gaon. Your stay will be at a comfortable homestay/lodge in Kotgaon. The summit climb of Kedarkantha is a very rewarding one. As you start your trek early in the morning and steadily climb up and when the Sun rises, the world opens up around you.
Day 1: Drive to Kotgaon(6,400 ft) from Rishikesh (245kms – 8-9 hrs drive):
Kotgaon is a village right out of a storybook.Right in the center of the village, and often the first thing you see as you get out of your vehicle, is a large temple to Someshwar. It’s an old fashioned structure out of wood and clay. There are some spectacular views of the Har Ki Dun and Devkyara valleys. The Swargarohini peaks dominate the skyline. Overnight stay at a homestay.
Day 2: Kotagon to Khujey (9,100 ft; 6Kms – 4-5hrs hike):
Khujey camspite is about 6kms hike from Kotgaon wading through oak forests, vast snow meadows and semi frozen streams. Today’s terrain includes gradual ascend most of the route. You will also pass by an ancient tiny shrine of the local deity enroute Khujey. This camp is pitched on a huge meadow surrounded by valleys.
Day 3: Khujey to Odari (11,000 ft) (Kedarkantha base) (4Kms – 3 hrs hike):
Today is the shortest day of the whole trek. Initial hike is inside oak forest and mostly flat. After about an hour’s hike the gradual ascend begins and ends almost near the campsite. Odari in the local dialect means cave and the campsite is named so because of a huge rock which forms a cave underneath. After lunch we go on a short acclimatization walk and explore the area near the campsite. Tonight we sleep in early so that we rest up well for the summit day.
Day 4: Odari to the Summit (12,500 ft), back to Odari (7.5kms – 7-8hrs hike):
The longest day of the trek and this day start as early as 4am. After an early nutritious breakfast, geared up we start the summit hike by 5am. Initial hike is slightly challenging because of the low temperature and also the gradual ascend. We take ample breaks till we reach the summit. It normally takes about 4hours to reach the summit.
Depending on the weather condition we spend about 30 minutes on the summit clicking photos, soaking in the magnificent 360degree views from the top and start descending towards the Campsite.
Day 5: Odari to Sankri (9Kms – 6 hrs hike):
Last day of the trek we start once the Sun comes up at the campsite. After a good breakfast we bid goodbye to the Mountains and start hiking back to Sankri via Juda ka Talab (Juda Lake). This is a small lake which is mostly frozen during winter. This route is takes your through oak and line forests, crossing multiple streams reaching a small village called Sodd and Sankri.
After a small debriefing session and a celebration, take out time to explore the tiny market of Sankri. Meet locals, have local food and end your beautiful adventure.
Day 6: Drive back to Dehradoon/Rishikesh from Sankri (8-9 hrs drive):
Trek Fee: ₹9,000/-
1. Meals from dinner on day 1 till breakfast on day 6.
2. Forest permits & entry fees.
3. Day 1 & Day 5 accommodation at a homestay/lodge, all other days in tents.
4. Experienced & Certified Trip leader
5. Local guide.
6. A team of Local Mountain Staff (Cook, Helpers, Mulemen/Porters).
7. Micro – Spike & Gaiters.
8. -10 sleeping bags & warm fleece liners.
9. Nutritious simple yet tasty food.
10. Round the clock care and medical attention.
11. Dry toilets with toilet seats.
12. Accommodation in Rishikesh before the trek.
1. Transport to & from the Basecamp (Rishikesh to Sankri and back to Rishikesh).
2. Accommodation at the Basecamp other than above mentioned days.
3. Meals during the journey.
4. Offloading of bags on mules/porters during the trek (Rs. 300/- per bag per day).
5. Trekking gears like trek poles, shoes, jackets, caps etc.
7. Any kind of emergency evacuation charges.
8. Accommodation if you discontinue the trek.
9. No refund will be given if you decide to cut short the trek or cancel the trek.
10. Accommodation in Dehradun or Rishikesh after the trek.
Some useful information:
Total Distance of the trek: 24kms (Approximately)
Max. Temperature: 20degree (during the day)
Min. Temperature: -5 to -8
Best Season to Trek: November till May
Maximum Altitude: 12,500 ft
Nearest Railway Station: Dehradun
Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant Airport, Dehradun
ATM: Purola has the last ATM point before the trek.
*It’s advisable to withdraw money in Rishikesh/Dehradoon before leaving to Sankri*