Tarsar Marsar is a less popular trek usually done in summers in the region of Kashmir. The trek comprises three high altitude alpine lakes – Tarsar, Marsar and Sundersar lakes. Other than this, the trail is brimmed with vast meadows, pristine rivers and glorious mountains and valleys in Dachigam National Park. Trekking along the lakes with a lucid blue sky gives an amazing view and the chance to camp next to the emerald blue lakes of Tarsar and Sundersar.
Day 1: Drive from Srinagar to Aru (103 km; 8,038 ft):
Pick up from the airport and drive to Aru via Pahalgam. Drive along the Lidder river and pass through apple, apricots and walnut orchards. Overnight stay at a hotel/homestay.
Day 2: Hike from Aru to Lidderwat (5 – 6 hrs; 9,022 ft):
Today’s trail is like a long walk in the park which takes you through pine forests, Gujjar Huts, small streams and open grasslands. Throughout the trail we walk along the Lidder river with gorgeous views of the valleys. Lidderwat is a vast meadow and has rest houses built by the forest department.
Day 3: Hike from Lidderwat to Sekhwas (4 – 5 hrs; 11,154 ft):
Today’s trail has gradual steep ascents but with few patches of rocks and boulders. You hike along the Lidder river and pass through Gujjar huts, pine forests and Birch trees (Bhojpatra trees). There are small meadows just above the campsite and can be explored after lunch.
Day 4: Hike from Sekhwas to Tarsar Lake (5hrs; 12,400 ft):
Today’s hike starts with a gradual ascend and continues till we reach a false ridgeline. The view opens up to the mighty Kolahoi Peak which is the highest in Kashmir. The first views of Tarsar are an absolute treat to your eyes and are breathtaking. We camp on the banks of Tarsar and what gorgeous views we wake upto the next morning!
Day 5: Hike from Tarsar to Sundersar Lake (6 – 7 hrs hike; 12,900 ft):
Today’s hike is a steady ascend towards the Tarsar Pass. The climb till the Tarsar top takes about 2 hours and the view from the top makes you forget all the exhaustion. The best comes once you descend the pass and start hiking towards Sundersar. You hike on the vast expanse of meadows and boulders and it is the most scenic day. The hike to Sundersar is something that you will remember always.
Day 6: Hike up to Marsar Lake top (3 hrs hike; 13,200 ft) and camp at Homwas (4 hrs hike; 11,500 ft):
Post breakfast, walk around the lake and hike up to Marsar top. Lake Marsar is Emerald Blue and glows beautifully in the morning light. Spend some good time on the top soaking in the gorgeous views of the lake and surrounding valleys. Hike back the same way and camp on the Homwas meadow.
Day 7: After an early breakfast hike from Homwas to Aru and drive back to Srinagar.
Trek Fee: ₹15,500 per person
- Meals from dinner on day 1 till breakfast on day 7
- Transportation from Srinagar to Aru and back
- Accommodation in Aru
- Forest permits & entry fees.
- Experienced & Certified Trip leader equipped with a Medical Kit.
- A team of Local Mountain Staff (Guide, Cook, Helpers, Mulemen/Porters).
- Micro – Spike & Gaiters (If need be).
- Dry toilets.
- Round the clock medical attention.
- Nutritious, simple yet tasty vegetarian food.
- Comfortable sleeping arrangements.
- Accommodation at the basecamp other than the above mentioned days.
- Meals during the journey.
- Offloading of bags on mules/porters during the trek. (Rs. 300/- per bag per day).
- Trekking gears like trek poles, shoes, jackets, caps etc.
- Accommodation if you discontinue the trek.
- No refund will be given if you decide to cut short or cancel the trek.
- Any kind of emergency evacuation charges.
Required Trekking Gear:
1. Personal Medicines / Basic medical kit
2. Woolen Cap / headband
3. Sun hat / cap
4. Sun glasses
5. Face Mask / Buff
6. Neck warmer / Muffler
7. Fleece or Woolen gloves – 1 pair
8. Waterproof gloves – 1 pair
9. Woolen Socks – 1 pair
10. Ankle length Socks – 3 pair
11. Above ankle length socks – 2 pair
12. Ankle length trekking shoes (preferably water proof)
13. Thermal Wear (Top & Bottom – 1 pair)
14. Quick dry half / full sleeves t-shirts – 4 nos
15. Poncho / Rain Jacket + Pant – 1 no
16. Down or Padded Jacket – 1 no
17. Fleece or windproof Jacket / Sweater – 1 no
18. Trek Pants (preferably water proof) – 2 nos
19. Head lamp / torch with extra batteries
20. Tiffin box
21. Water bottle 1 liter each – 2 nos / Thermos (optional)
22. Coffee Steel Mug + Spoon (1 each)
23. Trek Pole
24. Toilet Paper
*Please note: We can help you buy Trek insurance*
For the cancellation of a trek due to any unavoidable situation has to be notified in writing.
- Cancellation 30 days before the start of the trek – refund of the trek fees with 10% cancellation charges.
- Cancellation between 30 to 20 days before the start of the trek – refund of the trek fees with 20% cancellation charges.
- Cancellation between 20 to 10 days before the trek – refund of the trek fees with 30% cancellation charges.
- Cancellation less than 10 days before the trek – refund of the trek fees with 50% cancellation charges.