The Tarsar-Marsar Trek is a crossover trek expedition from Aru in Lidder Valley to Sumbal village in the Sind Valley over Sonmasti Pass (4100m). The Tarsar-Marsar as the name suggests treks to the twin lakes of Tarsar and Marsar separated by a mountain.
The route of the Tarsar-Marsar trek lies close to the highest mountain peak of Kashmir, Kolhoi Peak (5400M). It crosses streams, plenty of colorful meadows. Tarsar-Marsar trek route falls within the boundaries of Overa-Aru Wildlife Sanctuary. Long tailed marmots are seen through out the trek, with a rare possibility of a sight of Himalayan Brown bears high up in the meadows.
Day 1: Srinagar to Aru via Pahalgam:
Arrive Srinagar (Alt. 1600m)
• Pickup from Srinagar airport or bus stand or hotel
• 120 kms drive to Aru, Pahalgam approx 4 hours.
• Our first campsite Aru Village (alt 2450m).
Day 2: Hike from Aru to Lidderwat:
• Altitude: 2450m to 28oom
• 9 kms trek, approx 5 hours
• A gradual ascent from Aru to Lidderwat covering a distance of 10 km in 6 hours with an altitude gain of 342 m. Look out for two clear streams and a wooden bridge half hour before Lidderwat. We also pass through Nandkei Gujjar nomad settlements across the Lidder river. Once we reach Lidderwat, we can explore the meadows and the clear streams that run through it which is an absolute delightful experience. Camp for the nightstay at Lidderwat
Day 3: Hike from Lidderwat to Sekhwas:
• Altitude: 2800m to 3350m
• 6 km trek, approx 5 hours
• While trekking to Sekhwas we gain an altitude of 480 m in 5 hours covering a distance of 6 km. The trail is mostly ascending with intermediate flat grounds and one river crossing en route. After passing through pine forests and some intermittent clearings we will reach wide sweeping grasslands that are formed from the merger of many valleys that converge here. The trail climbs swiftly past a few Gujjar huts to the camping grounds of Sekhwas. Camp for the night at Sekhwas.
Day 4: Hike from Sekhwas to Tarsar Lake:
• Altitude: 3350m to 3700m
• 5 km trek, approx 4 hours
• It is a gentle climb to Tarsar through tall grasses, a few ridges and finally to the shore of the lake. Tarsar Lake is 5 km above Sekhwas and takes 4 hours with an altitude gain of 518 meters. The turquoise blue water is surrounded by lush meadows and snow capped peaks – this campsite is truly heaven on earth. Camp at Tarsar for an overnight stay.
Day 5: Hike from Tarsar to Sundersar Lake:
• Altitude: 3700m to 3850
• 7 km trek, approx 5 hours trek
• The trek to Sundersar covers a distance of 5 km in 5 hours with a pass crossing. Some trekkers attempt a trek to Marsar, which is a closed lake set inside a cauldron with steep sides. The trail is a steep ascent in the beginning, followed by a descent and then a final gentle ascent to the beautiful Sundarsar a small lake. Around the lake are long meadow stretches with little sprouting flowers of yellow, blue and white. Sundarsar has big, flat stretches that is a perfect camping spot.
Day 6: Hike from Sundersar to Sonmasti via Marsar:
• Altitude: 3850 to 3400m
• 9 kms trek, approx 6 hours
• Visit Marsar, and get down to Sonamasti. The trail initially is a climb to Marsar, which is at an altitude of 4100m. We explore the surrounding meadows, and finally descend to 3400m. The trek covers a distance of approximately 8 km in 6 hours. The Sonamasti valley is a sharp drop of over 600m, over a series of meadows. Each of these meadows has a little stream that runs down from snow melts and falls down to the meadow below forming a clear pond, before sliding off the cliff as a waterfall. The Sonamasti valley floor, again, is a breathtaking piece of nature’s art with small streams, brooks and green pastures. Camp for the night at Sonamasti.
Day 7: Sonmasti to Sumbal trek, Drive to Srinagar:
• Altitude: 3400m to 2150m
• 15 kms trek, approx 5 hours & drive to Srinagar : 3hours.
• Descend 1370m, and 11 km from Sonamasti to Surfraw. An early start will get us to Sumbal is about 5 hours. The trek ends at Surfraw Sumbal. It is a 3 hour drive from Sumbal to Srinagar.
Trek Fee: ₹16,200 per person
- Meals from dinner on day 1 till breakfast on day 7
- Transportation from Srinagar to Aru and back
- Accommodation in Aru
- Forest permits & entry fees.
- Experienced & Certified Trip leader equipped with a Medical Kit.
- A team of Local Mountain Staff (Guide, Cook, Helpers, Mulemen/Porters).
- Micro – Spike & Gaiters (If need be).
- Dry toilets.
- Round the clock medical attention.
- Nutritious, simple yet tasty vegetarian food.
- Comfortable sleeping arrangements.
- Accommodation at the basecamp other than the above mentioned days.
- Meals during the journey.
- Offloading of bags on mules/porters during the trek. (Rs. 300/- per bag per day).
- Trekking gears like trek poles, shoes, jackets, caps etc.
- Accommodation if you discontinue the trek.
- No refund will be given if you decide to cut short or cancel the trek.
- Any kind of emergency evacuation charges.
Required Trekking Gear:
1. Personal Medicines / Basic medical kit
2. Woolen Cap / headband
3. Sun hat / cap
4. Sun glasses
5. Face Mask / Buff
6. Neck warmer / Muffler
7. Fleece or Woolen gloves – 1 pair
8. Waterproof gloves – 1 pair
9. Woolen Socks – 1 pair
10. Ankle length Socks – 3 pair
11. Above ankle length socks – 2 pair
12. Ankle length trekking shoes (preferably water proof)
13. Thermal Wear (Top & Bottom – 1 pair)
14. Quick dry half / full sleeves t-shirts – 4 nos
15. Poncho / Rain Jacket + Pant – 1 no
16. Down or Padded Jacket – 1 no
17. Fleece or windproof Jacket / Sweater – 1 no
18. Trek Pants (preferably water proof) – 2 nos
19. Head lamp / torch with extra batteries
20. Tiffin box
21. Water bottle 1 liter each – 2 nos / Thermos (optional)
22. Coffee Steel Mug + Spoon (1 each)
23. Trek Pole
24. Toilet Paper
*Please note: We can help you buy Trek insurance*
For the cancellation of a trek due to any unavoidable situation has to be notified in writing.
- Cancellation 30 days before the start of the trek – refund of the trek fees with 10% cancellation charges.
- Cancellation between 30 to 20 days before the start of the trek – refund of the trek fees with 20% cancellation charges.
- Cancellation between 20 to 10 days before the trek – refund of the trek fees with 30% cancellation charges.
- Cancellation less than 10 days before the trek – refund of the trek fees with 50% cancellation charges.